I hope all our cadets and counselors are having a good summer break, but there’s no reason we can’t still get together and have fun!
Sat 7/14 let’s go for another cadet ride. I’ve got a great route planned out, it is similar to the last one, but will also include some off-road trail-riding. Therefore for this ride it is required to have a multi-gear mountain bike (knobby tires). And of course a helmet (required by law). Everybody should bring water and a snack. I will bring a backpack to carry everybody’s snacks (and I can carry water for anybody that doesn’t have a bottle cage on their bike).
Meet at the church parking lot at 8am, Sat 7/14, and we should be back in the church parking lot before noon. The route is just about 20 miles, but we’ll take it nice and slow, with plenty of breaks (for instance at the old Mission Dam).
Now this ride will be more than some of our younger cadets (and/or their bikes) can handle. If anybody wants to head up a younger ride, I would appreciate it. We could still all meet in the church parking lot, and we could all ride together around Lake Murray, and then the older group would continue on. Let me know if you want to lead that, and I will coordinate with you.
FYI the larger ~20mile route will look like this (here’s a link for an online route):
- Lake Murray pedestrian/bike path
- Mission Gorge
- Mission Trails visitor’s center (bathroom break, water refill)
- Father Junipero Serra trail
- Old Mission Dam (play break)
- Head off-road into Mission Trails, ride north under the Rte 52 bridge and beyond
- Exit Mission Trails at Mast Blvd (port-a-potty)
- West Hills Pkwy
- Mission Gorge
- Big Rock Park (play break, water refill)
- Mesa Rd –> off-road fire trail –> Lake Murray Blvd
- (Optional loop around Grossmont College)